About

Our History

ca. 1718

The heritage live oak that shades what is now the Scupture Garden of the San Antonio Museum of Art sprouts alongside the San Antonio River. 

1884

 

The Lone Star Brewery complex, with two great towers, crenellated parapets, and outbuildings for cooper and blacksmith shops, bottling facilities, and stables, is built on Jones Avenue.

1921–25

After the adoption of Prohibition, the once thriving brewery declines and the building becomes home to a cotton mill. It would subsequently serve as an ice factory, an auto repair shop, a uniform storage business, and the venue for other brief commercial endeavors.

1926

The San Antonio Museum Association establishes the Witte Memorial Museum to house collections related to Texas history and natural history, transportation, and art. The fine art collection would later form the basis of the collection of what is now the San Antonio Museum of Art.

1970

The buildings of the historic Lone Star Brewery complex are acquired for conversion into the San Antonio Museum of Art to house the fine arts collection, which was growing beyond the capacity of the Witte.

1981

Following a $7.2 million renovation of the former brewery, the San Antonio Museum of Art opens to the public in March of 1981. Renovation funding was secured through grants from the Economic Development Administration, the City of San Antonio, and private individuals and foundations. A National Endowment for the Arts challenge grant helped establish the operating endowment.

1985

The Museum receives the unparalleled collections of Latin American Folk Art formed by former Vice President Nelson A. Rockefeller and Robert K. Winn, establishing it at the forefront of American institutions collecting in this area.

1986

Trustee Gilbert M. Denman Jr. establishes the Museum's collection of Art of the Ancient Mediterranean World with the first of several large gifts of ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman art, forming the basis of what would become one of the largest Ancient Mediterranean collections in the southern United States.

1990

Museum Trustees Walter F. and Lenora Brown begin donating what has grown to over 500 Asian objects, mostly Chinese ceramics. With additional later acquisitions, the Museum's collection of Asian art is now among the finest in the nation.

1991

 

The 7,000-square-foot Cowden Gallery opens to present special exhibitions.

1994

Upon the dissolution of the San Antonio Museum Association, the San Antonio Museum of Art becomes an independent non-profit organization. The Beretta Hops House, the brewery's former cooper shop, is renovated, and the Luby Courtyard opens, an outdoor space for family days and other celebrations.

1998

The Nelson A. Rockefeller Center for Latin American Art, a 30,000-square-foot wing, opens to display Latin American art from ancient to contemporary. Patsy and Marshall T. Steves Sr. acquire the iconic Urrutia Arch for the Museum and have it installed it in the Luby Courtyard.

2000

The San Antonio Museum of Art receives accreditation from the American Association of Museums on November 6, 2000. The institution now has a staff of nearly 100.

2005

In May, the new 15,000-square-foot Lenora and Walter F. Brown Asian Art Wing opens. 

2009

The Museum Reach extension of San Antonio's famed River Walk opens. To accommodate the Museum's new riverfront access, the Gloria Galt River Landing, a shaded pavilion, esplanade, and terrace along the Museum's north side, is built.

Today

The mission of the Museum is to collect, preserve, exhibit and interpret significant works of art, representing a broad range of history and world cultures, which will strengthen our shared understanding of humanity.

The Museum conducts more than 500 guided tours, serves more than 20,000 students of all ages, and provides approximately 580 public programs each year. Programs include lectures, concerts, films, children’s workshops, scholarly symposia, family art activities, and special exhibitions.