The San Antonio Museum of Art is looking for energetic and enthusiastic individuals to volunteer their time to assist with a variety of programs and projects. The Museum would not be what it is today without the dedicated volunteers that serve, educate and welcome SAMA’s visitors. All volunteer positions are unpaid; interviews and background checks are required. To apply for any of the positions below, please fill out our Volunteer Application.
SAMA needs enthusiastic people who enjoy public speaking and working with a variety of museum patrons of all ages, especially school‐aged children. Docents must have a sincere interest in art and history, though no formal background is required in either subject area.
Becoming a San Antonio Museum of Art Docent is a commitment:
- Interviews: Before the entering the training program, candidates participate in a group interview and learn about the program from active docents. The next interview/preview session will take place in mid-August 2014.
- Orientation and training: New docents entering the program must attend a five day orientation at the end of August 2014. Following orientation, weekly training classes are held on Mondays from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. throughout the school year. Trainings focus on SAMA’s collection, age‐appropriate tour techniques, inquiry methods, and gallery activities.
- Time commitment: Candidates must be able to commit at least three years to the program. Year 1: participate in weekly training. Year 2: participate in monthly training sessions focused on tour development and lead school tours at least one half‐day per week (Tuesday‐Friday). Year 3 and beyond: participate in monthly continuing education trainings and lead school tours at least one half‐day per week (Tuesday‐Friday).
- Knowledge: Become proficient in all school tour themes offered by the education department, covering every collection area in the Museum.
- Email access: Maintain functioning email and internet access.
- Membership: Become a SAMA Member at your preferred level.
Visitor Services Volunteers
Visitor Services Volunteers staff an information table located in the Great Hall during the Museum's operating hours. Visitor Services Volunteers provide information about the Museum’s collections, exhibitions and programming, and provide general Museum information. Volunteers in this program are required to work at least 8 hours per month and must continue to better their knowledge of the Museum’s permanent collection and special exhibitions. Additionally, Volunteers restock brochures in the galleries and work events and programs. Applicants must be enthusiastic, comfortable talking to visitors, and interested in art and history. To apply, please submit Volunteer Application and a letter of interest to:
San Antonio Museum of Art
Attn: Public Programs and Volunteer Manager
200 West Jones Avenue
San Antonio, Texas 78215
Interns assist staff members in various departments with computer tasks, filing, research, and special projects. The time commitment as an Intern varies with each project and the needs of the staff. This position is recommended for college students who need to fulfill an Internship requirement—students are responsible to make special arrangements through their university to earn college credits. Interns are encouraged, but not required to become a museum member at whatever level is comfortable for them. All internship positions are unpaid.
Requirements of all Internship Candidates:
- Currently working toward the completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree in art history, the humanities, studio-art or other museum‐related field; if not currently enrolled in a degree program, intern must be in a transitional period between degree programs
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and demonstrate organizational skills
- Commit to work hours as scheduled with supervisor
- Volunteer for Museum Events as requested by Volunteer Coordinator
- Academic credit requirements are the responsibility of the intern and must be arranged through the university
- Business casual attire
To apply for a position as an Intern, please submit the following three materials:
Letter of Interest